2/28/2019

Express Yourself


I often wondered, when I was little, would I always be an introvert.  I did not have the confidence to speak up. Conformity was important because I did not want to stand out. I
appreciated diversity as well as I could, considering I didn’t even know the word back then. I knew many friends were different and were picked on for those differences. I was upset by that and knew that was an injustice. But I desperately wanted to be accepted and to be so, you had to be like everyone else, or relatively close. So I tried to keep my mouth shut and fit in.

In reality, I never really was even close. I was tall, skinny and just plain different. In retrospect, so was everyone else. All kids were unusual in their own ways. With some, it was obvious, but perhaps overlooked. In others, it was extremely clear.  There were those with a lisp, a birth defect, ragged clothes, unattractive, lower IQ, etc..

How they dealt with their ‘uniqueness’ was something never discussed in youth too much. Feelings were something kept inside, at bay. The exposure made everyone feel more vulnerable and vulnerability in youth is a sensitive emotion that can destroy a life easily. So we went about lives ignoring each other’s short comings, those of us that were picked on because of ours and having to ignore the popular kids’ defects.

I am not really sure, looking back, if every imperfection was noticed by others. I just think, as a youth, we are focused heavily on each and every one. By staying quiet, I drew less attention to me and felt less of a target of ridicule. But eventually, as I aged into adulthood, I came out of my shell.  It was out of necessity.

Being a mother turned me into a mouthpiece for my children. As a single mom, if not me, who would have spoken up? When coaches were needed for my kids teams,  my hand went up. And with that involvement came confidence and growing up for me, as well as my kids. This led to me converting to an extrovert more by necessity.

There are advantages of being extroverted, I have found. I am comfortable talking to strangers and asking others about their story. Learning from others is a great way to grow. I have no problem debating, standing up for what I believe in and I quit avoiding confrontation. I enjoy public speaking which was something I use to dread.

The disadvantages are numerous also. I set myself up to be a target also for hostility. Expressing my view, when it is not the norm, makes others upset with me and wishing I would shut up.   Confronting others is often seen as being mean or argumentative because many expect everyone to conform. Conformity is over-rated. That has led to far too many problems in society today though.  Each individual should have an innate right to disagree and express it without being judged. 

One style is not better or worse between introversion or extroversion.  And some people fluctuate between the two, depending on the situation. In fact current research is now indicating most people are a combination of both.  Regardless of how you decide to categorize yourself, find a way to share your ideas and thoughts. The more everyone does, the more enriched we are as a society. Don’t wait for someone else to say what you want said.  It may never be expressed and always lay dormant.  At the very least, write it down. Expression can come from spoken word or from the written. 

Expression is a blending of your imagination and the artwork of the mind.

Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...