2/14/2019

Dabble with a Drabble


I recently learned about drabbles, a term I had never heard before. Drabbles are short fiction stories that are exactly 100 words. It is a great test, as a writer, of the ability to use brevity of word choice and be concise. Not always is this necessary but when needed, having this skill set is advantageous. I decided to test my ability to write a drabble.

As I sat down and attempted to come up with a subject matter, no fictional ideas came to me. So much of what I write about is non-fiction. I found myself continually coming back to a story I wanted to tell. It was about another writer that has been reaching out and helping me quite a bit in becoming a better writer and more astute. I realized, it may not be categorically a ‘drabble’ but it would give me the experience and practice of writing one. Beyond that, if the story moves me, perhaps it might be more likely to move the reader. So I wrote my piece, confining myself to exactly 100 words with a beginning, a middle and an end per the requirements of a drabble.   I share it with you, my followers. 

The background story is the talented writer friend has suffered with a short coming for over a year now.  This has directly affected her ability to write. She has focused her energy instead on another gift she has which still shows her God given talent to touch others.  


She lifted a brush and dipped it in the paint. As she lightly touched it to her cigar box, she reached inside her soul for inspiration. An angel silently whispered encouraging words.  Though her eye sight was diminished, she lost all her reservations. The artist in full glory, she let her feelings control the brush in sweeping strokes.  Dipping the brush in various colors that moved her soul and lifted her spirit, an image began to take hold. With limited sight, this artist’s passion would not be stifled. As the voice dimmed, the paint dried. Ah, a mesmerizing angel appeared. 



Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...