12/10/2018

Vacation Bliss - Friends Make it Sweeter


If I packed a body in my suitcase, it would not have been any heavier than my suitcase
was from my recent one week cruise. Yes, you read that right, one week cruise pack job by moi! Everything was in there but the kitchen sink, the puppy, and the corner drug store. Oh and dental floss. But I vow never again will I pack that much again as long as I live no matter who is on the ship!


This trip was pretty special though seeing as how it was on my Bucket List. Always have I wanted to go on a cruise with a group, preferably friends. Oh I know every cruise ship has hundreds of passengers on it but I wanted folks I knew going onto the boat. Many find it hard to believe but I can be shy, every once in a while. It is said you make lifelong friends over vacation but I have never really stayed in touch with anyone I have met over a vacation, except my first husband. Oh and I did have two children with him so I guess he did play a pretty dominate place in my life.

So the ship chosen was NCL Bliss, the largest ship they have out on the high seas.  And wow, it is an eyeful, like walking a small neighborhood on the ocean from end to end. The
first few days, it was easy to lose your bearings, especially if you are directionally
challenged like me. So much to do on that boat, if you get bored, there is only one person to blame; check out the mirror!


Being on a boat with a group of folks I really don’t hang out with that much was interesting to see how the week would play out. One of the neighbors, as we all live in an active 55+ Community, is a travel agent who planned the trip,
made the arrangements and was our Julie from the Love Boat. So wonderful how meals, shows and even extra fun things on the ship were scheduled for everyone. She left nothing to chance, planning around ports and everyone’s needs and wants. Betcha her past clients were left crying when she moved south and left her business up north. Sorry ‘bout their luck, our gain!

What a group of fun people, and competitive too!  Four folks played Laser Tag with us along with 3 other young kids and may I proudly say “We kicked butt!”  Losing by one point when one on our team had a gun not working half of the game time is not bad at all. Next game we tied!  And having a cop on the team and two vets on our team, even with three kids, we were dynamite and put SWAT teams to shame! And yes, I and one other woman even had falls to prove we were seriously into the game to win!  Don’t let it be said women are wimps!

It didn’t matter whether it was race car driving, watching Jersey Boys, dancing while music groups were playing at the Atrium, this group threw caution to the wind so I fit
right in. When they threw their hands up and said join in, I did. Life’s motto, “Live it up like each day is your last” was the mantra for the cruise for bliss on Bliss and we all did it up right and proudly.

The warmth of friendship makes the sun of the Caribbean pale in comparison. Whether on an excursion or just killing time on the ship by the pool or various activities with friends from the group, knowing each day ended with time with new friends made each day special like all of them.  And if I packed a body in a suitcase, it would certainly be, on a future vacation, one of them!


Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...