11/03/2017

Optional Cruise


I think, after packing for a cruise I am opting for a clothing optional one next time! I don’t care what anyone says, even packing the essentials is stressful, especially on a longer length cruise. By the time everything is piled up on the bed and you examine the size of the cabin,  reality sets in.  This pile of garbage is never going to fit in that small box of a room and leave you room to sleep and maneuver without you standing out in the hallway to change clothes. So why bring any? Note: If in hallway, please look out for room steward so as not to shock him with your nudity while changing!

I started out with a very positive attitude packing for my 11 day cruise.  Even though it is business casual for dinner, why not dress up for dinners. Seemed like a great idea since it is a vacation on a fancy boat and picture opportunities are everywhere. But looking at the back of my door, reality set it. I have just enough girly girl in me to want to do the matchy matchy gig.  Women know what that means, starting with the dress, jewelry, shoes and hair accessories, if worn must coordinate.  With a two week cruise, the odds of all being worn more than twice were slim so all the sudden I feel like somebody’s personal shopper.  Hell no comes out of my mouth quickly and casual outfits overtake the idea of fancy spancy.

When did hair and beauty become so complicated?  Why do women have so much product to use on their hair and face?  I think the au naturelle look if one opted for a naked cruise would be the best choice!  It would complement the body well! And the luggage would be so much lighter.  Instead, I sit among a sea of lipsticks, eye shadows, mousses and of course my specialty shampoos that cannot be left at home wondering why is my bathroom so complicated. How can I transport it to a bathroom that is the size of my refrigerator without walls?

I kinda like what my neighbor Pat said to me this morning, buy it.  Pack what you want and buy the rest. But, again, if clothing was optional, why would there be a need to buy much of anything. Think about it for a moment, why cover up when no one else is?  You would look like the odd one, the nerd! 

Why were men not born with a keen sense of color?  Anyone married knows part of the job of packing is matching outfits for the husbands. God forbid you’d get on a cruise, walk out to dinner and the man you are with has on green shirts with a red shirt!  Oh, and we all have seen it.  Call it a daring fashion statement but it is a sorry bloke who got no help packing! 

Undergarments are the easiest part to pack, grab ‘em and run!  Count them and off you go. Thank God there is one part of packing that is easy.  Because every other part is stress-city! 

Shoes kill me.  I try to limit the number I pack because they take up room but they have to be comfortable and conform to your clothing.  And there has to be a variety.  Shoes seem to be the one thing too, you don’t want to have buy on a trip.  I wonder, on a clothing optional trip, what shoes you wear. I suppose, being naked, dress shoes are out so you are wearing flip flops, don’t you think? I mean anything more might look abit overdone, hence that makes packing easy. Zero options.

Men, it is clear from talking to several, bring all of their swimming trunks. This consists of two!  I can’t recall ever having only two bathing suits! Wow, would that make packing easy!   Women need to vary for tanning lines, different looks, mood swings, you know, all sorts of reasons.  We have the sexy ones, the practical looking ones, the barely there, the too tight, too lose, the old ones that should be pitched but are just hard to say good-bye to and the “I feel fat” day ones.  On vacation, I prefer to bring the ones that make me feel 20 years younger than I am. Too bad none of those exist!

Let’s call it daywear for the clothes you pack to put on for excursions and days at sea when you aren’t romping around in your bathing suit. Here we go again with the matching game, shorts and shirts. If you’re smart you pick solids on one end, top or bottom, to make your life easier! I gave up trying to match up jewelry for these outfits during the days and instead found throwing things in a jewelry bag for an in-house game of basketball was much easier and put an element of fun and chance into packing.  


There are so many other miscellaneous things to pack that it is like being a project manager who isn’t getting paid for doing a superb job. Your only reward is spending the first day of vacation recovering.  However, back to my main point, clothing optional cruises would enable you to truly enjoy each and every day of the vacation without this added hassle.  Before you Deep Six this idea, ask yourself would you rather be evaluated on your clothing when on a vacation or just focus on just having fun?

Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...