11/22/2017

Caribbean Cruise Fun - Part 2


Continuing my reflections on a recent cruise:




On the Grand Caymen Island the most common adventure seems to be the stingrays. Signs around call it  Stingray City. So not to miss out on the experience we boarded a boat to see
what we had missed all our life. We went in shallow water with our fellow tourists and stood in a small circle as stingrays swam all around us and between us. Such an odd feeling and I tried to clear my mind of Steve Irwin. We were told not to react or move even though this large creepy creatures were swarming all around us as our leaders were feeding them so they would feast in our area.  They said the worst thing we could do was everyone’s first inclination, run away, back to the ship.  

On the agenda was for each of us to take turns holding one while one of the crew held it and then we were to kiss the underneath belly side of the stingray. The reason for kissing a stingray is legend has it that it will bring you seven years of good luck. Okay, I did it but how gross did that feel, that slimy skin.  Oh and that side is right by the mouth.
 Petting it was rather odd, though many said how cute. I am not sure that is the adjective that came to mind but I am an animal lover at heart.  As I turned around, after my turn of kissing said creature,  while one man held one, he placed it up against my back and it climbed up to my neck while he said “whoa” and I tried to remain calm. That was the weirdest feeling!

Another crew member gave me a squid piece and told me to hold its dead head away from my hands a few inches under water so a sting ray could suck it out like a vacuum. Keep in
mind this is the same woman who hates handling worms on a fishing hook.  Can you even imagine my face handling dead squid and waiting for a huge stingray to come back and suck it literally out of my hand?  The crew member walked away quickly leaving me standing there with a dead squid in my hand as stingrays began encircling me. My husband began shaking his head letting me know in no uncertain terms he was not taking it from me!  So I dipped my hand down, multiple times, with my eyes side open cringing and not once did one grab it. Each time I was waiting to have my hand gobbled up. A few times I hear a few folks in the water get slight stings.  After a few of them swarming around  began either caressing my legs and seeming to suck on them, I was adequately freaked out enough to hunt down another man on our ship and literally say “Take this squid, I am heading back to our boat!  I had had enough.”  As I headed for the boat, my husband trailed letting me know the stingrays were trailing after me. It did not matter, I wasn’t looking back by then, making a beeline to the ladder and figured I’d admire them from the safety of the ship. Apparently the delicacy of the squid smell, I was told, must have been hanging on my legs.  How wonderful.

The snorkeling stops were next and were unbelievable and so beautiful in Grand Caymen! So many fish and coral to view!  I must admit this was a highlight and the area we were allowed to explore expansive. Exactly what a snorkeling excursion should be. The last one was over wreckage providing plenty of nooks and crannies to find creatures’ large and small hiding that you might not otherwise see in the ocean.

Showtimes on the ship are 7:30 and 9:30 every night. Doors open one half hour in advance. It never fails people show up late or right within five minutes of start time and obstruct others view.  One night as we are sitting behind friends, a couple decides to sit to the left of them, dead center in the middle of the row just a few minutes before the show. They inform our friends they are saving seats for a group coming shortly. As time ticks away slowly people come to the row, and each time, every one of the eight in the group we know have to repeatedly stand up to let each person walk past them. By the time the fourth came past, it became quite funny as our group were growing frustrated. 

One finally asks the initial couple if they know how many more people are coming so they know how many more times they are going to have to stand up with their drinks. It is starting to look like a Catholic Mass and the entire row we are sitting in is laughing by now. The latecomer tells them t she is not sure.  One suggests the next time they come earlier or sit closer to the end!  Finally the either simply stand and are left there for five more minutes while folks dwindle in over that timeframe into the first few minutes of the introduction of the show as more people come from that group.  People are just plain rude.   Just because you are on vacation doesn’t mean you ignore etiquette.

Next the port of Aruba.  When we boarded this catamaran, immediately the full sails went up and we were booking it faster than ever. We had high winds and it was so memorable and
the shoreline was well within view. This part of the excursion was gratifying! The crew explained post snorkeling we were allowed to drink from an open bar they would operate.  However, immediately after telling us, we all noticed they were pounding down the drinks themselves. It was hilarious to see a crew drinking and driving on the high seas without pirate hats on!  Were we witnesses to their blasphemy?  The irony of paying to be on a tour where we are being served water as a crew guide drinks liquor was not lost on me!


 In Aruba, the snorkeling was exactly what nobody wants to do, be in a traffic jam in the water. This is when a crew puts you in a small area with tons of people where you can literally not swim with your legs straight without kicking each other. The space was so small several folks got out of the water within five minutes due to crammed quarters. 
Again, I am long-legged for a woman, a former basket-ball player in high school so suffer right along with the men in the boat. I found my way to the perimeter by found quickly ropes anchoring our boat and a few other boats in the area impede your movements, haha! And were beyond where we were supposed to go as several crew members yelled at me and a few others that dared to go that far from the mass crowd that looked like Black Friday in the water.

Finally one of the crew members on the boat jumped in and pulled the borders out beyond another boat and allowed us to move beyond. I think they realized someone was going to drown a few folks so they could move, whether intentional or accidental. Plus, how do you keep track of head counts in the water with all that congestion?  It really had no effect and it was the shortest snorkel experience I ever had but the viewing was nice. 


The ride to the beaches in Aruba was short but the time at the beach was splendid. The beaches are some of the prettiest I have ever seen! There could never be enough time there because the water is so clear.  I will forever hold that memory dear!  The beaches lined with tiki huts and beauty as far as the eye can see.


One night I experienced the rockiest night on the ocean ever. Everyone was walking as if they were drunk. This was the only night in the entire vacation you could truly not separate the sober from the not. The waves were so heavy they were creating white tops on the ocean.  I quickly learned that I do not experience sea sickness any longer. Everyone walked down the hallways zig zagging so much that it was quick easy entertainment to literally open your door and stare down the hallway.   You could only go up or down the stairs holding the guardrails or risk falling over.  It was pretty funny to see the dance crew that night perform live and have some unexpected tumbles with some added giggles.

Bonaire was where we had trained to be, biking 5-6 miles a day. We picked a biking expedition that had electric bikes knowing we would have assistance, lots of it as the ride
was 20 miles around half of the island. However, surprises were in store for us!  When we arrived, after being transported to where the bikes were housed (!) the bikes electric was only a slight assistance and we would be pedaling the entire time.  And the ride was 25 miles!  OMG was my immediate and frequent response. 

As we started, for some reason, my husband and I opted to be the last in line as we started our trek and our guide, who was lucky enough to get to ride in his truck said we must ride single file. If anyone had a problem, they were to raise their hand and he would be looking out for them. The bikes had a feature where you could raise the level of the power of the electric motor to help assist you from 0 to 6.  Onward we started with a horrible headwind as he had forewarned us.

As luck would have it, who in the group landed up with a bike malfunctioning? That would be moi!  Yes, my bike’s button would not work so as everyone else is using assisted motors mine is stuck on 0 traveling for over a mile or two with a strong headwind trying to pedal as fast as everyone else. We are in heavy traffic as my husband is trying to shout sensing something is wrong with my bike, since I am waving backwards at him. Once we hit the outsides of town, some 4 miles out and the rest of the group is well out of sight and he has been raising his hand upwards to no avail to our trusted leader, he motions for me to pull over. He finds a small button that he can use his pocket knife to knock on my electric motor but he can only get it up to level 3 or it bounces back to 0.  Onward we go pulling back on to the road to attempt to catch up pedaling as if we are in the Great Race or the Tour de France. Unbelievably this is where our conditioning comes in and we actually manage to get within eye sight of the last biker after several more miles and finally the tour guide truck has, by then, pulled the entire group over to see what happened to us! 

As we are met with angry faces of other bikers because we apparently slowed down their
methodical ride, we are then told that my bike was just picked up from the shop the night before. Oh, and the real clincher, the guide informs me that he had not had time to check it out to see if it was working.  I glance at my husband to see his nostrils flaring. Somehow, after much finagling between him and my husband they get the electric motor to a level 4 and he tells me not to touch it and flag him if it moves. For the remainder of all those miles, no matter how strong the head wind was, unlike other riders, I could not elevate to a 5 or 6. And when it dropped I had to ride until we could get his attention to pump it back up. Note: with miles separating the front rider from the back riders and a curvy road, what do you think the chances were of him seeing our hands up in the air signaling to pull over?   I am forever grateful my husband stayed behind me so I was not stranded or I would still be out there pedaling without moving forward in that headwind! As we headed back onto that cruise ship, we asked each other “How great are we?”   Back in Florida, we find our measly 5-6 miles biking is a total piece of cake now!


Our toilet had a little problem towards the end of our trip. And apparently our next door neighbors did too as we heard the plumbing crew working on theirs also, loud swishing sounds or rather whoosh at odd times of the day and night. The first time it happened we had returned to our cabin after a night out and argued over who had gone in there last and forgot to flush!  When it didn’t work after pushing the cute little button several times to no avail, we had to call Housekeeping.

Waiting for someone to come up, not knowing they could access it without entering the room, we found ourselves at midnight lying on our bed fully clothed in formal clothes for an hour!  And the whole time we weren’t sure if we should be laughing or frustrated. After the third time it stopped up in four days, we thought about buying our neighbors a drink to commiserate the misery of the plugged toilet issue as we were trading the issue. Note: we had the bonus of unlimited drinks on the cruise so it would not have been a budget stretch to buy them anything they wanted at the bar! Perhaps the next batch of travelers were lucky and not backed up with a clogged john.

The adventure of going to 5 ports over 11 days was an experience for sure!  Each had its
own unique personality and showed a different sort of culture of the people living there. The
one thing that is hard on a cruise is the short time in port limits the time you spend there so
you get to see but a snapshot. Having said that, at some, that is all you may want to see!  We enjoyed each of them for varying reasons!  I would have liked more time at all of them though. Call me a lover of the Caribbean islands I suppose! All in all, it was a fun funny filled adventure I remember for a lifetime!


.




Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...