10/25/2017

Psyched to Bike

I began, several months ago, bike riding to condition my body more seriously.  Prior to that, it was more about the idea of looking fit and forcing me off of the couch and computer. I felt certain any bike riding would be advantageous to my body.   The idiosyncrasies of riding a bike in a closed community were then discovered.   
  
 My primary focus, initially, was the color of my bike. It wasn’t necessary that it be color coordinated with my clothing, though that would have been ideal.  I did want something that looked more like the Health Magazine ads.  Imagining what I would look like from a side profile if neighbors were to look out their window and capture a glance of me biking down the road on my cool colored bike.  I thought that might spur me on!  I knew I needed motivation.

I settled on a bewitching silver bike, one that is sleek looking with a highlighted pink color. I needed that girly touch too so I looked like the Female Athlete of the Year.  The first time I got on my new bike, though, I felt like anything but! Speaking of butt, I never recalled those seats being so uncomfortable and hard.  I really considered buying padded pants!

Athletes can work through the grit, grind and pain. My legs felt like they were poured in gritty cement and as if weights were on my feet. I was initially sure I would make it through the whole community, heck it was flat!  After the first street on the first few days on the bike, I regretted not having my cell phone with me. I needed to call home for reinforcements, namely a pick up car to tote the damn bike home along with me!

Gradually it got easier but, at the same time, I realized that sweet habit everyone had of waving was an issue. My stability, not being what it was in younger years, required both hands on the handle bars. I was getting odd looks for not waving back at motorists waving at me. I even tried shouting “Hey, how’s it going?” Doing that when you are moving outside on a bike in Florida can get you about 4-6 bugs in the mouth each time you say it! And no response from drivers in air conditioned cars who can’t hear you! It makes it hardly worth the effort to say anything. So I have adjusted and learned to simply slightly lift up my hand ever so slightly from the handle bars or ignore those drivers and make it look like I am one serious rider on a mission!

When the weather is hot, it is impossible to bike in Florida, except at night. That is, unless you want to leave a trail of water behind you everywhere you go from your sweat and tears. The only wind you get is like the kind coming out of the oven when you pull the door open.  Add the feeling of a heat wave when you are pumping your bike pedals about 10 mph or more. Uncomfortable!   So the bike is now equipped, at night, with flashy lights so motorists can see me. But regardless, some drivers don’t like to pull over to the other side of the road to pass me even though there is no one there. They prefer to hang on to the same side of the road I am on.  Why?  These roads are not super wide.  Are they trying to either test my stability or just plain want to hit me?  I see some of the same cars so I am beginning to think I am a nighttime pastime, let’s try to hit bikers tonight!

Florida gets rain out of the blue, one minute it is dry then, whoosh, it pours! And when it does, the water has no place to go so the roads can be pretty soaked and have puddles on them. Too many times, I have been out bike riding and surprise, downpour. Riding as fast as I can back home, everyone and their brother stops me, on route. Their primary comment, “You better hurry and get home so you don’t get as wet.” Note: this is happening while I am getting soaked and have to come to a complete stop to get this advice from several different folks in enclosed cars or golf carts. Genius advice. Now, can I start pedaling again and get home?

The idea of living in a flat area that is secure for biking seems easier than out on the main roads. There is an issue though, lack of changing scenery.  To get my mile count up, I have to circulate the same roads, same houses multiple times. Thus I feel often times, like I am casing out the entire neighborhood. I know all the dogs’ routines for potty time and I see many of the same faces over and over again on the same ride. Each time they feel obligated to wave at me thus I can see a few get annoyed being friendly. Hell, I would too. Should I tell them please ignore me so I don’t have to attempt to take my hand off the steering wheel? It slows me down and I don’t always feel like being friendly either!  I wish they’d swap out their plants on each round thru their neighborhood just to throw me off abit and change the monotony.

As I have built up my legs and body, I can now ride at higher speeds and faster. I can honestly say you won’t see me on the Wide World of Sports competing.  But, I can go further distances and will continue improving. I think I will progress to going outside the community so that walkers don’t feel they are being stalked by me this coming year as my distance is improving.  The joy of me and my silver bike and the fitness I am getting from it are delightful. If you are inclined, find an exercise that works for you and laugh while hitting your goals! If you feel psyched, get a bike!



Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...