8/05/2019

America I Can Talk Freely




I was told recently that nothing political should be posted on my blog. Well that is hard to do when I am so political by nature. If my blog is about me I would be leaving a huge part of myself out of my blog by never saying anything political on it so here it goes….again. I am into politics but I am open-minded. I care about all people; I have my views but believe my views aren’t the only ones that matter.

So much is going on these days that it is hard to determine who is your friend and who is not. Untrue, nothing has really changed in that regard. Your true friends are still there, society has that wrong and wants you confused.. Just because our views differ on a few things be it religion, parenting or politics doesn't mean the friendship isn't any good. This is being different, something we are called to be; uniquely human. Some of my close friends have varying views from mine but in most areas we agree.  And yes, in politics, it is not always the same stance across the board on all policies.  There does have to be a commonality on enough areas to bond,  obviously. What matters most is the quality of the relationship, like it always does with any relationship.

Similar politics doesn’t mitigate a great friendship either!  That may be the only thing you have in common with someone and the qualities you value in every other regard may differ sharply.  Don’t get so hung up on politics that you aren’t able to step back and see the big picture.  It's hypocritical to not allow for the very differences you are championing in your political views. If you value people than, by definition, you should value those with other views besides yours if their value system mirrors your core system of beliefs. 

My blog is an expression of many of my views on a wide range of topics and I attempt to be relatable to many but I am sure I leave some behind. This is not by choice but it is impossible to please every reader. So with that said I have to say a few things on politics and if I offend a few, I can’t apologize for my opinions.  Everyone has them and has a right to them, including you to yours:

  • Gun violence has gotten out of control in America and something must be done
  • Both parties in the political spectrum simply must stop taking money from pharmaceutical companies and the healthcare industry. Check their campaign funding and find out where their campaign dollars are originating from then write them and publicize your findings.
  • Research what you hear and read. Do not take the news or what others tell you verbatim. Repeating it doesn’t make it true.
  • Recognize there are channels that are biased, on both sides of the political spectrum. This is called ‘ratings war” and translated that means advertising dollars. It is not about you or I, it is about making money.
  • Be an informed voter. Don’t be someone who complains and doesn’t stay educated. Your civic duty is not to be a blind voter.
  • Insist on solutions and not just banter on problems. We can change things with effort and action.




America was a dream that men and women died for to turn it into a reality. I write about it because I think their deaths mean something. That is why I stay concerned about politics; because I think I owe them that, even if it means taking a few potshots now and then. It is easier than taking bullets.  And I believe America is worth standing up for. Do you?


Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...