8/12/2018

Social Interaction Still Matters





OMG, I have been on vacation! My cell phone was down because of a lost charge! My Facebook has so many notifications, so much activity and I have tons of emails. I flipped to Twitter and the activity there is unreal. How am I going to catch up and which one should I tackle first? Hell, I will never have time to unpack or pick up the mail!  I need to go back on vacation on that cruise ship to get away from social media!!!! Help me, I am drowning on land! 


Emails coming in reminding you of birthdays for people you knew ten years ago. Then you struggle trying to remember who they are realizing why bother?  If you sent them a note,
they probably don’t remember you either and your wish doesn’t mean anything anyways!

Direct messages on Facebook and Twitter come from  total strangers of the opposite sex saying Hello. What the heck is that supposed to mean?  Let’s start a conversation from someone who is probably pretending to be a person behind a profile picture. Oh, are you so desperate for friends you will reach out to anyone and everyone.  If so, go stand in the middle of the street in NYC! That is probably safer.

Tweets that ask you to follow me and I will follow you. Why?  If you are saying anything of substance, I already would be! Now that you are saying that, you are showing the world you have nothing worthwhile to say except you are desperate for people to hear you say anything, even something as stupid as listen to what I say even when I am saying nothing of value!

What is the deal with Facebook forwards that say stuff like forward this to 20 people to bring good luck? Hell, you want to send me good luck, give me a lotto ticket! I have a much better chance of getting some good luck that way then you sending me twinkling stars or a picture of a doting angel and then harassing 20 friends with a chain message. Actually that is a sure fire way to piss off 19 friends!

Let’s forget talking live and communicate everything on texts on our phone. Then let’s hope the inflection of what we are trying to say comes across even though half or more of what we communicate comes across in our tone and it is completely lost in the written word. Nobody writes in text like a literary author so gone are the ‘missing you horribly’ or ‘sincerely hope you are having a great day’. Texts are written like computer programmers:  How RU?  Feel OK?  Nice talking 2U (insert 😃 face) Body language doesn’t show but it is substituted by one of the fifty emoji’s.🙏🌈⭐🚩🎸  End of conversation. Wow, that was rewarding, NOT

What is with the incredible long streams among many members on Facebook Group Direct Messaging that you have to run up and back down to figure out who the hell said what? Half the time I am responding to my own damn words!  Wow, does that look foolish but the stream gets so confusing. One time a close friend said, hey, I am starting a new group. It was the same group! She just said, unbelievable to me, I can’t follow this anymore or I will need to go into counseling. It is like hearing white noise to follow the stream any longer!

How many selfies can some folks take? Isn’t it easier to just look in a mirror? They are in your home, there is a rear view mirror in your car and carry one in your purse if you can’t stop staring at yourself. I don’t need to keep seeing you in my social media stream. I have news for you, day to day, you don’t change! You aren’t a baby that is going thru massive changes day to day in the development process. You don’t get bigger except perhaps in the waist line and if you keep posting them, perhaps in the head as in ego.  If you do get bigger in the waistline, or perhaps in the butt, do you really want the rest of us to see it?

Oh and selfies count as your feet. Please, post the pictures of the beach!  And men tell me, as far as your thongs (flip flops) if you are going to post those, post a real thong, They are a whole lot more exciting than your bare feet. Women, it is a misnomer that most men have a foot fetish! You may care about how your feet look  but nobody cares to look at your feet on social media posts. Let us feel like we are watching the Travel Channel and living vicariously through you, and that doesn’t happen by looking at your toes.

What is with all the unwanted emails coming in my inboxes these days?!  You unsubscribe from one site and in its place 5 others suddenly appear within days in the same category. Your name is being sold constantly on mailing lists and you have virtually no control over it. And the emails never make it to your SPAM folder anymore. If you are new to social media, you think you are the hottest commodity in social media overnight!

Be wary of filling out any questionnaire for politicians, even your favorite one! The minute you do, you become the top request for donations for that candidate and every email they send out on any and all policy issues they stand for! Heck, even if you post something negative on a politician’s site, which I have on several, I am now getting their emails even after unsubscribing. For some reason, they think, enough messages, they can change my mind. I may pay them to stop!

Balance out your posts. I love looking at a timeline on anyone’s page where I learn about the person and see inspirational posts. Why do some folks do nothing but posts links. I am not going to constantly read links. If I wanted to read the news constantly or other articles, I would go to google, or news site pages. Twitter is notorious for this. Someone’s page will be nothing but posted link, after link, after link. In the bio someone will say they are an expert. An expert at what, posting links to other experts in the field they say they are a Master at?  Yeah right.

I do believe in social media and I think it serves an invaluable service. The drawbacks are numerous and in many ways it has added a new dimension of stress to our lives. It has also eliminated needed dialogue to interpersonal relationships. That missing element is hurting families and friendships, no doubt about it. Be the change, as families lose that connect, children will suffer. Be sure you aren’t part of the problem but part of the solution. Remember use hashtag #SocialInteractionStillMatters!

Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...