1/04/2017

Push Your Body Good


I have found Florida has taught me I am lazy! I need to get outside more in the wintertime. This was my time of the year to use the weather as an excuse to sit on my rear and do as little as possible. The excuse is gone as the forecast most days is sunny, nice breeze and 80’s. Oh hell, now I am forced to do all the things I couldn’t do in the summer heat down here!

So now I have to get serious about that kinda New Year’s Resolution I swore I would not make. See I don’t believe in those stupid resolutions, I believe in making steps towards changes, permanent ones. Unfortunately, in the case of the change I am talking about, it involves getting out of a chair and taking physical steps, repeatedly and for long lengths of time.  The physical activity can’t stop there. Though I am too old to train for the Olympics I have been kidding myself saying I am too old to be I shape. B.S.!

One week before Christmas I was in the ‘body shop’, which cost a lot more than my last car repair. I was given a new pipe, or as my cardiologist called it, the newest style stent. He called it a word I didn’t understand. I always try to act smart around them so they don’t talk down to me. Works well most times but other times, they leave the room and I am wondering “What the hell did he just say” like it is their fault and not mine for pretending to understand. Can any of you relate?

Apparently,  along with my new pipe in place I need to ensure my lifestyle is  very  healthy. After careful review, I doubt I qualify as great in some areas and I am competitive enough to still want to get the”A”. 9 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer, a rare type. At that time, my lifestyle was extremely heathy.  Somewhere between then and now, I fell from the healthy body stature.   And now it turns my chemo drug is hard on the heart.  I will be fine from here out but the best drug along with the ones I a on for life is healthy living.  Oh shit, that means I better get busy!  Yes, there is room for improvement and honestly, no I am not sharing my bad habits.  But they would make you feel better about some of yours!

My eating habits are great and my diet is excellent. It is the other areas that need, let’s say improvement! I don’t do selfies so if I pump iron, you won’t see me snap pics of me. Gosh, I look horrible in a selfie without sweating!  And why do they call it pumping iron? Does that mean I can simply lift my iron up and down a few times?  And my bike is beautiful, relatively new so that is incentive to ride. I can show it off, right?  Hopefully that feeling won’t wear off.  Actually, I am excited to feel more in control of my body than it in control of me. I prefer to be the Control-Freak.

With a New Year, I recognize at any age, I can focus on fitness. I can quit using my age as an excuse to let myself go to hell. When you do that, too many other issues develop.  Oh, I am listening to my body from here on out. I should never have ignored those chest pains for so long.  Doing the body good will help everything else fall into place. It is no guarantee of not having health issues but it does make it easier to overcome them. 


So for the New Year, my advice:  Be good to your body! Whatever you do, do it in moderation so you don’t become obsessive and get burned out and then quit! Create the plan that suits your personality and lifestyle but don’t say it, like I have a million times and not change a thing.  
Be here to celebrate next year! 

Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...