7/16/2015

Radio Jammin'

I have been asked by friends why I don’t have or like satellite radio. When my husband first got his car, I got another sampling of it, and I never used it when I drove the car much at all! Simply said, I want to know what is going on.

When I am driving, I enjoy listening to music as much as everyone else. I am the person that is rocking to the tunes down the expressway. I also must remind myself, at stoplights, to pull the windows up lest someone hear my off key voice hollering out the words to one of my million favorite songs playing. But, what I don’t want is to be out of the loop of what is going on in the world.

Some days are so crazy, it is awesome on that darn ride to town to hear the news in quick sound bites.  The fluff is gone and the news is covered quickly, local news and only the huge national news stories for the most part.  Who enjoys, on a busy day, being bogged down by scrolling around on the internet or phone or having to watch TV to find out what is going on in our world.

Traffic tie ups are a part of life, in any region.  Who likes landing up in the middle of them with no warning?  Hello, another reason to listen to local news! So many times, I hear suggestions of things to avoid and even suggestions for detours.  What a time-saver.  Or if that black cloud overhead is turning into a tornado. I sure would like to know if I should be looking for a ditch to run to. You can’t get that off of satellite radio.

Most of us have a hard enough time keeping up with our own life let alone the agenda in the city. Local broadcaster’s jobs are to promote venues in the city. Listening to a local channel gives that, the quick synopsis of what is going on, where and when.   I also enjoy hearing feedback from callers or guests about the events in town. Supporting local communities and businesses is what makes our area thrive. I don’t have time to read a local paper so this is the next best thing.

A good radio channel should give you the taste and culture of the city, where you live, where to eat, best places to shop, what movie to watch, etc…  They know better than anyone we all suffer from some level of attention deficit.  A friend in the business told me recently, 6 second messages work good actually!  How many of us spit out what we want to say in around 2-3 minutes?  If so, that is a heck of a lot of wasted time, energy and words! Nobody is listening after a minute folks.You are boring people. I know, I have seen non-verbals aimed at me that say, "land the plane!"


So there you go, listen to the local radio for those of you, like me with some ADHD, interest in hearing more about your city and still having moments to jam to some music on the road!   

*Thank you Anna Marie for your inspiration on this! 

Sister Bonds

  Having spent some time recently with my older sister, it reminded me of so many shared moments in our youth.   Those years were some of th...